Sep 1, 2016

Monthly Movie Recap - August 2016


In a month's time, not only will it be the start of the Countdown to Halloween, but I"ll be at Disney World! Which means I'll have some catching up to do to cram in some horror flicks when I get back. Can't wait to see the new Star Wars stuff in the parks!

I don't think I need the trailer for this one, we all know about it right? And I think that's its problem, it's a victim of its own success. The first couple did a good job being self-aware and a good bad movie but I think this one...jumped the shark. It wasn't even the craziness of the story, it just felt like it was trying too hard.

Cool: If you love an insane story that doesn't make sense, here you go!
Lame: If you're not up on your pop culture you'll know some people are there just for the cameo but not know who they are.

Rating: 5/10


Lavalantula (2015)  & 2 Lava 2 Lantula (2016)
Not only is the from the people that make Sharknado, they share a movie universe! For some reason, I missed the first one but when I saw the trailer for 2 Lava 2 Lantula, I had to get in on it. How can you not with that name? The first one reminded me a lot of the monster movies of the 50s I love so much. The second plays it up a bit more. They're both fun bad movies.

Cool: Reunites some of the Police Academy cast
Cool/Lame? Gutenberg out hamming Shatner!
Lame: When are we getting Sharknado vs Lavalantula??

Rating: 6/10 for both


Escape from Tomorrow (2013)
This wonderfully weird movie was shot primarily guerilla style in the Disney Parks without Disney's approval. I can't even start to describe it except for saying it's like a dark fairy tale meets Twilight Zone. It's...out there and won't be for everyone.

Cool: Imagines a darker side of Disney
Lame: I don't want to think about how many times they had to ride Small World to get the shots they needed

Rating: Really 6/10 but I have to give it 7/10 for doing what they did, which is what really got me wanting to see this. Read more about it.


The Big Bus (1976)
An all star disaster comedy as the world's first nuclear bus makes its maiden non-stop voyage from NYC to Denver! It's not Airplane! by any means but you may get a chuckle here and there.


Cool: The Cyclops bus. All star...well, mostly star, cast.
Lame: Needs to be funnier

Rating: 5/10


Holidays (2016, Netflix)
This horror anthology contains eight segments, each about a different holiday. The two stand outs for me were Father's Day (worth it for the amazing atmosphere even if I didn't get the ending) and New Year's Eve (flat out fun) with Christmas and Easter a close three and four. Halloween by Kevin Smith was probably the most disappointing as it only happens to take place on the day, otherwise having nothing to do with it.

Cool/Lame: You probably won't like all the stories, but should be able to find a couple to satisfy. If you have Netflix, at least check out Father's Day, even if the build up is better than the ending.

Rating: 6/10
Month Total
 New: 6  Rewatch: 0

Year Total
 New: 46  Rewatch:3

No comments:

Post a Comment